Monday, March 14, 2011

andrea s seminar monday / WAB seminar

















andrea's seminar on monday 9 -13 will be about "schweelengruppe" and para-text

 also: on monday afternoon, for those interested (not compulsory)

"Maria Stoicheva (Department of European Studies; Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski") has been visiting the Wittgenstein Archives since the beginning of March and will be leaving next week. In conjunction with her visit, WAB has organized a seminar:

Monday, 14 March 2011, 14.15-16.00, Sydnesplassen 12/13, room 130 (where the Philosophy Department and the Wittgenstein Archives are located)

Language and Identity: On Wittgenstein’s ideas about the use of the pronoun “I”

Abstract
In this talk I will try to elucidate Wittgenstein’s treatment of the personal pronoun “I”. The question is this: when someone uses the pronoun “I”, what did Wittgenstein think that he is doing with it? Is he using it to refer to himself or is he doing something else with it? ‘I’-thoughts give rise to some of the most challenging philosophical questions. These are special problems about personal identity: the ‘peculiar’ sense in which a person is conscious of his/her own identity and the issue of self-consciousness. They are interwoven in Wittgenstein’s treatment of the use of the pronoun “I” and this can lead us to finding out more about the peculiarity of personal identity in the contemporary philosophical context."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.